Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS Support MPLS ?

sharma.rajesh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I m Rajesh ,I need to confirm that on 2500 series and 2600 series routers which particular IOS is supporting MPLS -VPN.

Thx&Brgds

Rajesh Sharma

15 Replies 15

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Rajesh

AFAIK MPLS is not supported in both the router models.

For the supported features i would suggest to check the datasheet of the respective models..

regds

MPLS for 2500:

Loong time bfor I had tried using this IOS, was quite unstable but works

for the sake of it. :-)

Requires 16mb of Flash and at least 16mb of memory.

Unless it has been moved, you?ll find the software image at this FTP site

ftp://ftp-eng.cisco.com/rraszuk/specials/

PS: This is a special release IOS and has never been available as a supported feature

or available on CCO.

MPLS for 2600:

Enterprise Version of 12.2T has MPLS features and quite stable as well

for Lab purposes. Almost all MPLS labs available on Cisco PEC are hosted

on 2600 or 2600XM.

You can download Enterprise feature set of 12.2(15)T16

And you are good to go with 64MB of Mem and 32 of Flash.

And have a feel of TE,MPLS VPN, CSC etc all on this.

If you have an 2600XM your features increase.

Enjoy your Lab Sessions :-)

HTH-Cheers!,

Swaroop

Hi Swaroop

You have the support for mpls in 2650XM,2651XM & 2691,i did recheck in all major T trains and obtained the same result..

regds

Yes Edwin, it works, you can even see it live and test it, if you have access to PEC,

and for our training labs we have used 12.2(15)T16 Exterprise for MPLS with TE!! (no FRR ofcourse)

Here is the link for PEC,

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le36/learning_partner_e-learning_connection_tool_launch.html

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

PS: What feature did you search for?.

Hi Swaroop

I did check for MPLS feature using feature navigator tool.

regds

Hello,

It is not possible to download any 12.2T. All the links that you find are either to deferred releases ( u cannot download), or the linkfinds no image. I'm looking for an image for a 2600. Anybody no what's up?

Thanks for your help. This is just for a Lab setup.

I believe there was a open notice from Cisco about the IOS trains which would be discontinued from public downloads.

Anyways you can try with other images which will fit into the normal 2600 memory and IOS.

For example:

12.3(20)GD Enterprise Basic

64 Mem 16 Flash.

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Software/Iosplanner/Planner-tool/iosresult.cgi?get_crypto=&data_from=&hardware_name=2620-2621&software_name=ENTERPRISE%20BASIC&release_name=12.3.20&majorRel=12.3&state=:HW:RL:SW&type=General%20Deployment

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Hi Swaroop,

Howa are you.

I could not find Enterprise feature set of 12.2(15)T16 but I found 12.2(15)T15. Is

12.2(15)T15. works for the 2600 routers.

Thank U very much

Ken Li

Hi Ken,

Yes, if you are able to download 12.2(15)T15 also, you should be good to go.

As this IOS is also in the same 12.2T train.

T16 would have more fixes. Should make a huge difference for a Lab.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Pls visit the below site for ur all questions related to IOS and the model no of Router and the hardware requirement of all the routers.

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp

Thanks.

Nilesh.

Hi All

I have downloaded the c2600-js-mz.122-40.bin on my cisco 2610 and apparently i can do the mpls command. However when i tried to enable LDP, the IOS just won't let me..

R2600#sh mpls interfaces

Interface IP Tunnel Operational

Serial0/0 Yes No No

The Label options is not in the IOS when i do the following

R2600(config-if)#mpls ?

ip Configure dynamic MPLS forwarding for IP

mtu Set tag switching Maximum Transmission Unit

netflow Configure Egress Netflow Accounting

traffic-eng Configure Traffic Engineering parameters

Have you guys come across anything like that ?

I have been trying to download the 12.2(15)T15 but it seems to be not listed on the cisco website.

Can someone point me in the correct direction ?

Thanks a lot

Regards,birdy

When you enable "mpls ip" or "tag-swiching ip" LDP gets enabled on the interface.

For Eg:

R2600(config-if)#mpls ip | tag-switching ip

and then verify with show mpls ldp discovery

or show mpls int

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Hi Swaroop,

Thanks for yr response.

I tried to do as what you described but I am still not seeing ldp enabled on the interface.

R2600#sh mpls int

Interface IP Tunnel Operational

Serial0/0 Yes No No

The funny thing is that the ios version that i am using for my mpls lab does not seems to support ldp. All commands relating to ldp are not found in the ios. for example I am not able to run this few commands

1. mpls label protocol ldp

2. show mpls ip binding

The above are just only 2 examples of some commands that i cannnot use in my ios version.

The IOS version that I am using is

c2600-js-mz.122-40.bin

I will appreciate if someone can let me know where I can get a working version of ios for mpls on cisco 2610

Thanks in advance

Regards,birdy

Ok here we need to note that if the IOS being used is old, then it would support TDP, rather than LDP, but that doesnt change MPLS or the way it works, it just the protocol being used to exchange label binding.

In your case it seems, the router only supports TDP, some IOS support both. If you want to test and practise LDP and TDP both, you can try using 12.3(T) for 2600, if you memory supports it.

Alternatively, here is a link which explains the equivalents commands for MPLS vis-a-vis Tag-Switching.

To practise the concepts in LAB, wthether its TDP or LDP, would make any difference, if you objective is to study label switching, rather than the protocol behaviour used for label exchange.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Note:

1) "mpls label protocol tdp|ldp" command is avvailable only when the IOS supports both the protocols, for instance 12.3T.

2) "show mpls ip bindings" --- the quivalent command when using tag-swithcing is

"show tag-switching tdp bindings"

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: