Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

IP header compression

we can configure IP header compression for low bandwidth serial interface .Can we configure it for Ethernet interface when I am having MPLS Link from My service provider instead of Serial Link.

3 REPLIES

Re: IP header compression

1) IP header compression is not link layer dependent.

2) IP header compression/decompression has to be done hop-by-hop. as you lose the addressing parameters.

If you have an ATOM end-to-end ethernet link you can do header compression.

If you have a VPN connectivity via MPLS, then your PE has to support the compp/decompp which is not very likely. So you may need to use some method like GRE between your sites for header compression.

Now the thing is you wont benefit much by compressing header, would recommend you to consider payload compression which is quite prevalent for optimized upper layer applications.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Thanks

Actually i have got 2 types of connectivity from my mpls service provide one is thru STM o/p ethernet 2nd metro ethernet,and my service provider is telling me to configure ip header comprassion on my interface .is it possible if then what command is required.

Actually I dont get the context,

If you SP is giving you pure layer 2 media end to end why would he ask you to configure header compression.

Rather than header compression if you have BW problems then you should use payload compression. There are lot of third party application which do payload compression, and also header compression in hardware externally.

NOTE: COmpression is not recommended to be done on routers with high speed links, as compression on routers is done in CPU, and it will increase the CPU utlization tremondously if traffic is high.

This is the link to configure header compression:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00805f2850.html

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content