Views
Helpful
Replies

L2 protocol tunneling on EFP at me3600

Mery
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All

i have recently read about l2 protocol tunneling and seems very useful if it is configured with qinq altogether.

But if we use EFP at ME3600 with l2protocol  tunnel and also a customer VLAN X-qinq with l2protocol tunnel , will the  bpdu of customer interfere with ISP?

So in other words the diagram is as below:

Customer1–Switch A—Core Switches–ME3600(1) —L3—-ME3600 (2)–SwitchB—Customer1

On the port at Switch A facing customer the port is configured for qinq vlan X and also l2protocol tunnel enabled (stp, vpt, cdp)
Switch A port toward Core switches is configured as Trunk allowing the vlan X.
At ME3600 (facing Core switches) is configured service instance with  xconnect (IP of ME3600 -2) encapsulation default and also l2protocol  tunnel enabled.
Also the same thing at ME3600 at port facing the switch B is configured  service instance encapsulation default, xconnect ip of ME36001 and also  l2protocol tunnel enabled

Switch B port toward Customer is configured as qinq vlan x and also l2protocol tunnel enabled (stp, vtp, cdp)

So the question is, will the BPDU of Customer network (or VTP) will interfere with BPDU (or VTP of Core switches, switch A and SwitchB). How the packet from customer (qinq and l2pt enabled) will be handled at ME3600 with service instance (encapsulation default and l2 protocol tunnel enabled)

Sorry for my long long explanation.

Regards

mery

8 Replies 8

Mery
Level 1
Level 1

So to put it simple:

if an ISP has configured service instance with  l2protocol tunnel and encapsulation default, I as a customer can i send  packet qinq vlan X with l2protocol tunnel enabled across ISP's Tunnel. How this packets will  be handled by ME3600-s

Regards to All

mery

The xconnect on a service instance will suck up all VLANS  (encapsulation default syntax used) except your PDU's like BPDUS,CDP,  ect unless specified

Service instance encapsulation dot1q, is a match criteria only.  The rewrite funcion dictates what is done with the tag. If you leave it  off "rewrite ingress tag" then I believe the whole frame is  encapsulated. If it goes on, then if you are doing qinq, use rewrite  ingress tag pop 2, as you encapsulation will be matching 2 tags.

But you still have to add the keyword for encapsulating PDU's

One Way

service instance 100 ethernet

encapsulation dot1q 100

rewrite ingress tag pop 1 symmetric

xconnect 1.1.1.1 12344321 encapsulation mpls

mtu 1500

!

qinq

service instance 100 ethernet

encapsulation dot1q 100 second-dot1q 200

rewrite ingress tag pop 2 symmetric

xconnect 1.1.1.1 12344321 encapsulation mpls

mtu 1500

Is this what you was after?

What i meant was:

Will the bpdu from customer network (whitch are encapsulated with known multicast from l2protocol tunnel at edge switch) arrive at the other end at customer (edge switch Switch B which is also configured with l2 protocol tunnel qinq) intact or the configuration made at Switch ME3600 will mess the thing up, because we have configured also l2 protocol tunnel at ME3600 for bpdu of service provider

Regards,

Mery

Not 100% sure what you mean by conflict with the SP BPDU, as PE-PE is usually MPLS. So if you had an xconnect a the edge UNI, facing customer A, sending acccross the SP Core to Cust B, if the SP on the service-instance allows the flooding/sending of BPDU, I can't see where the confilict would arise in the SP Core? The rewrite action happens symetrically so on egress and ingress, the L2 VLAN ID is stripped on ingress and re-inserted on egress, with a value stipulated by the encapslulation command. BPDU's are treated as such:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/metro/me3600x_3800x/software/release/15.1_2_ey/configuration/guide/swevc.html#wp1063563

Hopefully this is what you are after?

Ok this is l2protocol forward, but what i ment was l2protocol Tunnel

The diagram is as below. With these configuration on diagram, will be there any problems? So will the bpdu of Customer will interfere with BPDU of ISP? Thank your very much for your replies so far.

skema.bmp

I would say on the service instance set encapsulation default, and perform no tag rewrite, just send it though fully tagged.

If I had the equiptment I would lab up, tagging the native vlan on the Cusctomer switch as well, and monitor the results. Its quite hard to say for sure, purely from a theoretical perspective if the above would actully produce your expected results.

But if i use the option l2protocol forward at ME3600 and l2protocol tunnel at the port facing the customer, should there be any problem? Will BPDU of customer will arrive intact at the other side? IN this case is necessary the native vlan tag at customer switch?

Regards,

Mery

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: