Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Laber router working as a P and PE router - is it possible

Hi,

I have a small enterprise customer, who wants to possible deploy MPLS to support a number of user groups.

Unfortunatly there current network is a mesh of rings between POPs. My question is do I need to deploy a P and PE router in each POP, or can one router do the job of both i.e. forward LDP packets between other PEs and also be a PE router for its own POP..?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Laber router working as a P and PE router - is it possible

End of the day your forwarding decisions are based on your IBGP next-hop as reachable from your IGP. So effectively the same router can act as PE for your own PoP, and it acts like a P for downstream PE routers, till all are IBGP neighbors.

PE and P are funtional definitions. Having said that you have to consider resource and switching capabilites of the router which acts as both PE/P.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

2 REPLIES

End of the day your forwarding decisions are based on your IBGP next-hop as reachable from your IGP. So effectively the same router can act as PE for your own PoP, and it acts like a P for downstream PE routers, till all are IBGP neighbors.

PE and P are funtional definitions. Having said that you have to consider resource and switching capabilites of the router which acts as both PE/P.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Hi,

P router functionality is part of PE router functionality. So a PE can act as P to other routers.

A P router runs IGP (OSPF, ISIS, etc.), LDP and does label switching. All of these functions are also provided by a PE router.

So you can build a MPLS network without a single dedicated P router in place.

Hope this helps! Please rate all posts.

Regards, Martin

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content