Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Layer 2 support via MPLS on 3600 metro switches

Is there any way to provide multipoint layer2 services using 3600x metro switches.  I work on a wireless network with 6524s on the backbone and 3600s as our service handoff.  So we are wanting to provide T-1 replacement to our customer, but would like to do it as a layer2 hand off.  This way we can provide a multipoint WAN where all their devcies can route independently of our MPLS network.  The goal is to provide the customer with a single subnet for all of their WAN needs, so each site could direclty route to each other.  This type of service is being provided by another vendor via their fiber network and we would like to emulate that service offering.

I know of VPLS and that does not work on the 3600, but the 6524 does seem to support it.  Can I set up VPLS on the 6524 and then trunk the vlan to the 3600 for the customer handoff ????

Is there any way to make this type of feature work using VRF's from the 3600 ?

One issue is that this service is being offered to a large customer that is using a single EIGRP 111 for the entire network, but on the physical network it is divided into groups and each group is seperated by firewalls.  So we will need to keep group seperate from each other, so the layer 2 seemed to be a good choice, just provide a layer 2 network for each group.

thanks for any help.

1 REPLY

Layer 2 support via MPLS on 3600 metro switches

Hi Greg

Considering the above scenario I think H-VPLS Solution can be a choice of solution..There can be 2 cases though :

1) QinQ---Which should solve the purpose whereby the 3600 accepts the C-VLAN and hands it off to c6524's S-VLAN over a Trunk Link. c6524 accepts the C-VLAN in QinQ Mode using S-VLAN and forms a VPLS Domain for the S-VLAN but in this scenario we will be keeping the L2 Trunk Link reserved for the L2 Customers only..If we need to serve L3 VPN Customers also then we would need another separate L2 Link to pass the Customer VLANs which need L3 VPN Service and configure the VRF on c6524..

2.MPLS Based Access Psuedowires---In this c3600 would need to be MPLS enabled for configuring PW on the c3600 and terminate it in a Mutipoint VFI on c6524..We would need to ensure that the c6524 would support the H-VPLS with MPLS Access Based Psuedowire Feature...

The VRF Solution would also be a valid choice but would c3600 to be MPLS enabled and also this would require L3 Peering with the SP at each site-office but would not be able to support the single EIGRP Domain to be used across customer network in Multipoint WAN mode..

Hope this provides some insight into the traffic requirements and provides some help into the traffic design..

Regards

Varma

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content