Helpful
Replies

LDP Address List TLV

g.rodegari
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

a simple question:

How can I filter an interface to be included in the advertisement, in the field "Address List TLV" (RFC-3036) of the LDP packet sent to the neighbors?

I do not want that interfaces without LDP enabled are included in this list.

Any Help is really appreciated!

Thank you so much.

Best Regards,

Graz.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

from RFC3036:

" To enable LSRs to map between a peer LDP identifier and the peer's addresses, LSRs advertise their addresses using LDP Address and Withdraw Address messages."

There seems to be no case of "conditional adress advertisement" forseen in the RFC. So the observed behaviour is RFC compliant, but might be unwanted in your case.

The only option I see is to send a feature request towards Cisco or to start an IETF discussion/draft RFC allowing this.

I totally agree, that it would make a lot of sense in your case.

Regards, Martin

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is not possible. The router will include all interface addresses for all interfaces in up/up state. May I ask why you want to do this.

Thanks,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Hi Harold,

Suppose to have thousands of subscribers interface without MPLS enabled... what is the reason why to advertise these?

Thank you,

Graz.

Hi,

those interface IPs could potentially be next hops in the neighbors routing table. The list translates to: "Dear neighbor, if you have any of the following IP addresses as next hop for a prefix in your routing table then use my labels.".

The underlying reason is, that the LDP ID of the advertising router is usually different from the IP next hop address in the neighbors routing table. Without the additional info building the LFIB could be impossible for the neighbor router.

Hope this helps! Please rate all posts.

Regards, Martin

Ok,

but if I'm sure that there aren't feasible next-hop (subscribers side)... isn't there a way to block the advertisement?

Thank you,

Graz.

Hi,

from RFC3036:

" To enable LSRs to map between a peer LDP identifier and the peer's addresses, LSRs advertise their addresses using LDP Address and Withdraw Address messages."

There seems to be no case of "conditional adress advertisement" forseen in the RFC. So the observed behaviour is RFC compliant, but might be unwanted in your case.

The only option I see is to send a feature request towards Cisco or to start an IETF discussion/draft RFC allowing this.

I totally agree, that it would make a lot of sense in your case.

Regards, Martin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: