cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LDP convergence using BFD

anil12345
Level 1
Level 1

Can I used BFD for LDP convergence. Can anyone explain way convegence will happen in my mpls core. If I am using BFD for triggering my IGP convergence. With BFD hello timers of 50ms & hold timer of 150 ms.

9 Replies 9

jcozzupoli
Level 1
Level 1

I believe the best solution to your question is to incorproate BFD with MPLS Traffic Engineering FRR (Fast ReRoute). Also, have your IGP timers tweaked and this way you could obtain optimum convergence times in your MPLS core.

Have a read of this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/mpls/configuration/guide/mp_te_bfd_frr.html

Laurent Aubert
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Two feature can help for LDP convergence:

- LDP session protection

- MPLS LDP-IGP Sync (which makes the first feature less useful).

It's still your IGP (except if TE is used) which will provide the path between two points.

HTH

Laurent.

jcozzupoli
Level 1
Level 1

hey Anil,

Any update on this one? Have we helped in anyway?

Cheers,

Joe.

yes in some ways. My vendor was claiming to have subsecond convergence using plain BFD based IGP, LDP & BGP convergence in my MPLS backbone for link & node failure.

Just not sure how will they aceive it without implementing MPLS TE FRR.

Can we configure BFD for LDP LSPs? I believe Junos lets you do that.

Hi,

We don't support BFD for LDP but BFD for MPLS OAM (L2 and L3) is on the road-map (check with your account team for more details)

Assuming you have redundant path, you can use BFD for fast link detection or for MPLS-TE FRR trigger. Use LDP-IGP sync for Down-to-UP event or if you loose your LDP session.

HTH

Laurent.

Jaweedshaikh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Is there anytoher technique under BGP timer besides Hold timer and Keepalive that can improve convergence in MPLS L3 VPN network.

I know about BFD, some work is going on under BGP timer side to improve convergence

Jaweed

Hi,

One way to add improvements to your MPLS L3 VPN network is to add the "bgp scan-time" command under the BGP process address-family configuration.

What this command does is set the scanning intervals of BGP next-hop validation or to decrease import processing time of VPNv4 routing info.

Hi,

Have we answered your questions? Can you please rate now if you are finished with this forum.

Thanks.

Joe.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: