tunnel source Loopback0

tunnel destination 200.20.55.1

tunnel mode mpls traffic-eng

tunnel mpls traffic-eng priority 7 7

tunnel mpls traffic-eng bandwidth 1

tunnel mpls traffic-eng path-option 10 dynamic

!

I have an EoMPLS VPN configured.

I'm doing a ping flood on a host on one end of the L2VPN driving the link, but it doesn't seem to be getting throttled by the TE tunnel, that is, the TE tunnel doesn't seem to be registering any traffic over it at all, where the interface connected to the PC is really moving:

PE#show int tun1 | incl rate

Queueing strategy: fifo

30 second input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

30 second output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

PE#show int g0/3 | incl rate

5 minute input rate 17083000 bits/sec, 1502 packets/sec

5 minute output rate 17083000 bits/sec, 1502 packets/sec

Do I need to somehow map the VPN to the TE tunnel?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

swaroop.potdar
Level 7
Level 7

You can use the above feature of also just try autoroute announce.

(config)#int tu1

(config-if)##tunnel mpls traffic-eng autoroute announce

Both will work, but to be used in different scenarios. In you scenario either will work as you have one tunnel only.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

swaroop.potdar
Level 7
Level 7

You can try this feature, ATOM Tunnel Selection.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6922/products_feature_guide09186a008067cf79.html.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Actually, this feature isn't available on my platform. I'm using VXR NPE-G2.

Is there another way to get an EoMPLS VPN onto TE?

Jason,

You should be able to use Tunnel Selection on the 7200 if you use the 12.0S train.

The issue with the autoroute announce is that it applies to all traffic, not just the EoMPLS traffic.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Can you verify that for me? I don't see that feature in FN supported for either the 7200-G2 or for 12.0 (only supported is 12.2(33)SRB1 and 12.2(33)SRA4

I'm looking for Any Transport over MPLS (AToM): Tunnel Selection

WRT autoroute announce, I don't understand what you mean by applies to all traffic. You mean applies to all MPLS traffic that's mapped to a TE tunnel? You don't mean all IP traffic, I trust.

You can use the above feature of also just try autoroute announce.

(config)#int tu1

(config-if)##tunnel mpls traffic-eng autoroute announce

Both will work, but to be used in different scenarios. In you scenario either will work as you have one tunnel only.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

That command seems to have helped somewhat. Now I see traffic only in one direction, and it's exceeding the bandwidth configured for the tunnel. Any ideas?

interface Tunnel1

ip unnumbered Loopback0

load-interval 30

tunnel source Loopback0

tunnel destination 200.20.55.1

tunnel mode mpls traffic-eng

tunnel mpls traffic-eng autoroute announce

tunnel mpls traffic-eng priority 7 7

tunnel mpls traffic-eng bandwidth 1

tunnel mpls traffic-eng path-option 10 dynamic

PE#show int tun1 | incl rate

30 second input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

30 second output rate 8967000 bits/sec, 766 packets/sec

The receive traffic will be coming from the other tunnel configured on PE2.

TE tunnels are unidirectional.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

All right...happy testing...I am in EST and am off to some sleep now.. :-)

Cheers,

Swaroop

Hi,

Besides the fact that tunnels are unidirectional, it is worth noting, that MPLS TE is a control plane feature. This means the configured tunnel bandwidth is used in path selection but NOT in any way limits the traffic sent through the TE tunnel.

It is up to the administrator to make sure the tunnel bandwidth is configured to reflect the real bandwidth sent through the tunnel. There is a feature called "Automatic bandwidth Adjustment"

For further details have a look f.e. at "tunnel mpls traffic-eng auto-bw"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5187/products_command_reference_chapter09186a008017cf4c.html#wp1072652

Hope this helps!

Regards, Martin

I will have to read further based on your reply to my other forum post about TE.

Thank you, Martin.

Regarding your query for throttling the bandwidth you can only rate-limit it at the ingress. Or use a service policy as you already did.

with the ip rsvp bandwidth command you set the reservable/allocable bandwidth per interface for TE tunnels. If you do not specify any bw argument against the command then the whole of bandwidth on that interface is available to rsvp for reservation.

when you specify the bandwidth parameter on the TE tunnels, it is considered as a constraint in the path setup and only the path via which that much bw is available, th e path is setup.

So the traffic flowing through this tunnel is always assured of the bandwidth which was configured for it. But it can oversubscribe also as its minimum assured bw. so rate-limiting at the ingress is the only option.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: