cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Martini Draft And Kompella

ranjeet_badhe
Level 1
Level 1

Can any one suggest a link for Martini Draft And Kompella.I would appreciate if any body is ready to share stuff on it and explain in short.

8 Replies 8

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

First of all there is two Martini Drafts. One specifying the encapsulation of ethernet frames in MPLS frames and the other about signaling:

draft-martini-l2circuit-encap-mpls:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-martini-l2circuit-encap-mpls-07.txt

draft-martini-l2circuit-trans-mpls (signaling):

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-martini-l2circuit-trans-mpls-14.txt

The Kompella Draft uses the encapsulation specification described by the Martini encapsulation draft.

draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-bgp:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-bgp-02.txt

The basic difference between Martini and Kompella Drafts is that the first one uses directed LDP sessions for emulated VC signaling and doesn't cater for auto-discovery. The second uses BGP for emulated VC signaling and includes support for auto-discovery.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

In my opening statement, I should have said L2 information instead of ethernet frames.

;o)

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Dear Harold

Thanks for the URL and the explanation.

1) When transferring the Layer 2 frame (especially the tagged VLAN Ethernet frame), what are the provisions made in the LDP protocol for the label negotiation? How the signaling does differs from the general L3 VPN label distribution.

2) What are the headers associated and change in basic mpls frame when transporting Ethernet Layer 2 over MPLS ?

Well I read the draft ,but honestly I cannot follow it clearly due to some confusions.I would appreciate if you can clear my doubt on the above mentioned questions and also if you have any graphical/pictorial stuff request you kindly to share it.

Thanking you in advance.

Does this mean that Martini uses Traffic engineered and pre-established path for Layer 2 transport of frames and Kompella uses dynamically created LSP (By LDP)?

The drafts differ in the way they signal the emulated VC (one with LDP directed session and the other BGP). Both can use either LDP or RSVP to setup the LSP between the ingress and egress PE.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Now then what is the difference between the Martini draft and the Kompella draft ,if both can signal emulated VC using either LDP or RSVP to setup the LSP.Totally confused in understanding ,how do they work.Please help.

There is two different level of labels here. One is the IGP label (aka as outter label) that is used to get the traffic from the ingress to the egress PE. This label can be learnt via RSVP or LDP regardless the draft.

The other label is the emulated VC label (aka as service or inner label) and is used to forward the traffic to the right interface once it gets to the egress PE. This label is learnt via LDP directed session if the Martini draft is used or via BGP if the Kompella draft is used.

Let me know if you have further questions,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Thanks for your explanation

Now what is the difference between Martini/Kombella & AToM/VPLS ?

Is Martini/Kombella supported on Cisco ??

Many Thanks