cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitoring QoS Performance

dcwalker
Level 1
Level 1

I was wondering what are the recommended techniques for monitoring large scale (hundreds or thousands of links) QoS deployments.

We have deployed QoS only selectively to date but are starting large scale deployment of VoIP (thousands of handsets).

We have QPM 3.2 which we have not invested much time in as yet to really understand how it works. Would you recommend it for monitoring QoS performance or is it primarily deployment?

For really critical systems I have found IP SLA simulating calls and reporting when the call quality falls is very useful.

I was also thinking that monitoring QoS syslog may be the most effective method of monitoring hundreds of links and devices including switches, routers, vpns, firewalls etc. What facility codes would these messages come in as for switches (CatOS, IOS) and routers?

1 Reply 1

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

there was a discussion on this topic here in the Forum:

Network Infrastructure: ASK THE EXPERT-DEPLOYING/MONITORING QoS USING THE CISCO QoS MANAGER

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Expert%20Archive&topic=Network%20Infrastructure&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1ddb93e4

Unfortunately it ended a month ago. Still you might find interesting info there and also could try to contact the moderator.

Regards, Martin