Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

MPLS over Serial links with Hardware Compression

We have a core network comprising multiple nodes (2821s) with 256K - 2M Serial links joining them. The network currently support MPLS TE tunnels to provide load balancing across multiple paths within the core network. I am aware that it is not possible to run software compression (STAC) on these links as MPLS requires CEF switching to work and software compression results in process switching. Is it possible to implement hardware compression and CEF switching concurrently and hence MPLS functionality or will packets still be process switched?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: MPLS over Serial links with Hardware Compression

Hello,

in fact I do not know the answer to your question. But as a workaround you could use MPLS over GRE and compress the GRE packets. This should work in any case.

Hope this helps! Please rate all posts.

Regards, Martin

3 REPLIES

Hello,

in fact I do not know the answer to your question. But as a workaround you could use MPLS over GRE and compress the GRE packets. This should work in any case.

Hope this helps! Please rate all posts.

Regards, Martin

Martin,

thanks for the suggestion. It works correctly but has highlighted what I believe to be an IOS bug. With MPLS packet debugging enabled on an intermediate router it works fine. Without MPLS packet debugging the intermediate router forwards the paket untagged out the wrong interface. Time for a TAC case.

Regards

Gary

Hi Gary,

life and IOS is full of surprises ;-)

I am confident, that you will get a shiny new IOS curing all bugs soon ...

Seriously, I have never heard of the symptoms you are describing. Keep us informed about any relevant development allowing us to learn something new.

Regards, Martin

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content