Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

MPLS P and PE physical connectivity

Hi all,

I have a question regarding the physical connectivity between a P router and a PE router. Some are saying it's best practice to use two 2960G, but I am not convince. Why not connect both P and PE directly? That would probably be more efficient as well.

Thanks

Martin

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Re: MPLS P and PE physical connectivity

Hi Martin,

The connectivity between PE and P in a MPLS environment largely does not depend on MPLS features but on other network design considerations like bandwidth, available cabling, intermediate equipment required, f.e. POS or ethernet, distance between P and PE - to name just a few. It is perfectly OK to have PE and P connected back-to-back.

There are many networks in service provider or enterprise environments, where exactly this is implemented in parts of the network. There are even large MPLS networks without any 2960G interconnecting PE and P routers.

Your information about the usage of 2960G might stem from another requirement; for the MPLS P or PE functionality it would not make a difference. So I would not call it best practice without specifying in more detail, which other requirements lead to this statement.

Hope this helps! please rate all posts.

Regards, Martin

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content