Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

MPLS (So Many PE )

Hi all,

I have problem in MPLS configuration.

I have a network with almost 400 routers running OSPF as IGP.

I have number of clients who can connect to any of my router.

I want to run MPLS in my network. So, to connect all my clients in MPLS for L3VPN, i have to make all my routers PE. Then i would have to connect all PE together.

is it practically feasible? is there any other way to achieve the same?

Need Help.

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Well, if you really needs to

Well, if you really needs to run L3VPN you would need to have MPLS on all of them, otherwise you'll be able to have control plane working but not data plane.

You have easier ways to enabled MPLS such as ldp igp sync.

This would enable MPLS on all of them, but you have to evaluate the whole network, all the 400 would be PEs? sound to many to me, what about the P routers? You probably don't have a full mesh, I think enabling MPLS on all of them is a small problem compared to the architecture planning.

hi Reman,My network is such

hi Reman,

My network is such that , customer can connect to any router.

I don't have any problem to enable MPLS in my network.

And as i told already that customer can connect to anywhere in network.,then i have to connect PE to PE. This would require full mesh.

I  would like to tell you about my network. My network is state wide area network. State has some district and district has some blocks. All are connected in hierarchy such that all blocks of a district are connected to district and all district are connected to state. Now i have to connect all state department. Department location can be anywhere like block, district or state.

This would cause many routers to become PE. very few are no routers would be P.

Cisco Employee

So if I understood correctly

So if I understood correctly you have a 3 tiers diagram, but it looks like customer connect to the state routers as well, not only to blocks, is that correct?

I think the beauty of MPLS is kind if broken if by the end of the day you need to have a full mesh to make it work (It would still be needed for l2vpn and although not needed, l3vpn as well) but I think you would end up with a very difficult network to manage, technically I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use MPLS on it..

Views
Helpful
Replies