Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS TE FRR 1:1 protection

alexey.sazhin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

In "MPLS Enabled Applications Emerging Developments" I read that there is 4 options of path and node protection:

1)path protection N:1

2)node protection N:1

3)path protection 1:1

4)node protection 1:1

Now I'm practicing on Cisco IOS 12.2SR and don't see examples and configuration guides for the last two approaches (protection with 1:1 tunnels,feature navigator just includes "Fast reroute support", so it's not helpful).

Could you tell me whether this feature is supported by Cisco (may be on any other platform)?

Thank in advance.

/Alexey

3 Replies 3

Nagendra Kumar Nainar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Alexey,

Per my understanding, FRR is acheived by facility backup technique which is N:1. One-to-one backup mechanism is not supported.

-Nagendra

Hi Nagendra!

Thanks for your reply.

I also find confirmation in document about P2MP LSP, it states that detour backup protection is not supported for both P2MP and P2P LSPs.

Document's link: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/mpls/configuration/guide/mp_te_p2mp.pdf
page 2 

"Restrictions for MPLS Point-to-Multipoint Traffic Engineering

• RFC 4090 describes two FRR methods: Facility and Detour backup. Both point-to-point (P2P) TE

and P2MP TE support only the Facility FRR method."

/Alexey

"...support only the Facility FRR method." so my question is support link and node facility method or only one of them? If yes, what particular method actually is supported (Node or Link)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: