Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS-TE Inter-AS

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

just want to know how and what is the best way to route traffic over Inter-AS MPLS-TE using Option B for L2VPN and L3VPN

5 Replies 5

amit.bhagat
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Marwan,

I think it would be still "autoroute announce" (this is most common) on the headend for the tunnel configured with loose-hops. Only, in this case, the IP Addresses of ASBRs and head-end/tail-end routers would be advertised to other AS.

Regards,

Amit.

Sorry, my bad.....just tested this and it wont work. The reason I see is that the VPNv4 label changes at ASBRs during advertisement, but in data-plane the VPNv4 label is never changed at ASBR due to MPLS-TE transport label on top causing the remote-PE to drop traffic.

I think it would only work if PEs in different AS can exchange VPNv4 routes directly, rather than through ASBR.

Regards,

Amit.

but Cisco support MPLS-TE with inter-AS option B and I believe there should be a away to get it working !!

by the way with option B you need to have the tail-end loopback of the other AS PE to establish the TE tunnel with the loose path option, right ?

No need due to loose-path option, but you do need "mpls traffic-eng passive-interface" between ASBRs.

Regards,

Amit.

but i think even in the loose path you need to specify the tail-end IP/loopback

in other words the tail-end IP need to be leaked between the two ASes !, right

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: