Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS/VPN QoS

aretsu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

When I look at Cisco Documentation regarding MPLS QoS Recomendation and Best Practices, I always saw the same approach:

PE-to-CE link. QoS PE Inbound is done using MQC policing "police" command as follows:

class-map match-all PREMIUM

match ip dscp ef

class-map match-all BUSINESS

match ip dscp af31

!

!

policy-map IN-POLICY

class PREMIUM

police 128000 4000 4000 conform-action

transmit exceed-action drop

class BUSINESS

police 256000 8000 8000 conform-action

transmit exceed-action set-dscp-transmit af33

class class-default

set ip dscp 0

As you can see with the "police" command I have to enter the BW given to the CE-Router. Here is my doubt, What happen if the SP have many customers with many diferent bandwidth values? Do I have to configure many "policy-map" commands (One for each customer BW)?

Is this the recommended way to achieve QoS at the PE-to-CE link? or should I use anything else?

What do you recommend to achieve this?

TIA

Regards!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mazhar71
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Yes you are right. QOS implementation is very similar when you compare different cases. The best way in my opinion is using not so many qos template for every customer. Using "police cir percent xxx" may be helpfull in the case you adjust service bandwidth according to interface bandwidth. In any cases you should accept creating as many qos template as the number of your services. This is like giving different IP address and configuring different static route for different customers.

Best Regards

Mazhar

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

mazhar71
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Yes you are right. QOS implementation is very similar when you compare different cases. The best way in my opinion is using not so many qos template for every customer. Using "police cir percent xxx" may be helpfull in the case you adjust service bandwidth according to interface bandwidth. In any cases you should accept creating as many qos template as the number of your services. This is like giving different IP address and configuring different static route for different customers.

Best Regards

Mazhar

ipotts
Level 1
Level 1

Since you then bind this to the interface with service-policy, you only need one for each link speed (unless you use the cir command already described in another reply).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: