cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS vs ROUTING

The_guroo_2
Level 2
Level 2

Guys first of all i am vvv new to this (MPLS) now guys i have read some few articles......plus some few chapters of few books on MPLS......the main theme of MPLS i sthat it is a lable technology send...froward packets on labels rather then plooking the ip address (tradional)........now guys what is th eplus point then.........i mean the only thing which i can see is that routers would not hold routing tables......so whats th emain theme of MPLS.......i mean i didnt get any main different....please help me clearing my concept....thanks alot for looking

2 Replies 2

jayjorda
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The routers would still hold the IGP routing table. MPLS isn't a routing protocol. There used to be some performance gains because the router did a lookup on the label (32 bits). However that really isn't the case anymore with lookups being done in hardware. If you're running BGP across your network, with MPLS implemented you can remove BGP from you core devices and just have it on the edge devices. The biggest thing with MPLS though is the other services you can offer on the network once MPLS is deployed. You can offer Layer 3 VPNs, Layer 2 VPNs (EoMPLS, VPLS..) and MPLS Traffic Engineering.

I hope "2.1. Overview" part of RFC 3031 will be very helpfull for you just have a look at it.

for your reference RFC site

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3031.txt

HTH

please rate if it helps