Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast between vrf on different L3 switches

Peter_mlr
Level 1
Level 1

Team,

Need a help / Suggestion on the VRF to route the multicast traffic between the vlans

The problem is something like this  [ REFER ATTACHED DIAGRAM ]

We have a source residing on the Vlan X on the Catalyst 4503 and the clients will be on the Vlan Y on the 6509(on a VSS mode). As of now, clients from different Vlans on the 4503 will join the multicast group by sending the igmp joining massage (we have multicast routing and PIM configured on the vlan interfaces on the 4503). i.e both server and client reside on the same switch but on different vlans

Now the requirement is the client on the different Vlan on the 6509 should receive multicast OR join the multicast group on 4503 [ and this has to be achived with VRF )

a) We have L3 connectivity between the 4503 <> 6509 (and a VSS configuration on 6509)

b) I was given understanding that through VRF-lite feature this can be achieved (without PIM configured), If the source & destination on the different switches is it ok to achieve it ?

c) What configuration is required to route the multicast traffic from 4503 to 6509 using the VRF-lite

d) Also, Please brief me about VRF-lite technology and let me know how different it is from VRF- MPLS & VPN

Please revert me if need any more information

Any inputs / suggestion in this regard is highly appreciated

Thank you in advance

New Doc 22_1.jpg

1 Reply 1

Sandip Rathod
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Peter,

Difference in VRF lite and MPLS VPN, is in VRF lite we don;t use Route Target, we just use RD to distinguish prefexis.

I am just trying to understand why you need vrf lite between 4509 and 6509, why you don't run normal Layer 3 between these two router, and enable PIM between these two.

You just need to enable between these two router, and configure RP.

You need to make sure you have more than 1 TTL configued in your source

Btw, what you are using as as source ?

Can you provide me configuration you are using ?

Regards,

Sandip