Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel

Multicast on Nexus 7k and 6509-E

Hi experts,

I have a setup and I am seeking some assistance here.

6509-E ( Sup V-10G)  (Layer 3 switch)

|

|

Nexus 7k         (Layer2 switch)

|

|

------------------------

Server1              Server2     (servers are in the same vlan)

I  have the above setup and I need to setup multicast between the 2  servers. The nexu7k is a layer 2 switch and the 6500 is a lyer3.

Both servers would be sending/receving traffic.

Whats the best way to go ahead?

1. Which PIM mode do I use? How many groups should I be using?

2. Any considerations/caveats on the 6k?

3.Some sample config help would be appreciated

Regards,

Kishore

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Member

Hi Kishore,

If you have two servers in the same VLAN which only need to send/receive between each other then I don't believe any configuration would be required (should be default behaviour for that to work). If the servers are not actually sending an IGMP join (that would be expected of a receiver) that could be an issue because on the N7K IGMP snooping is enabled by default.

Are there other receivers somewhere else in the network that you need to route the traffic to?

If you are just looking for the most absolute basic way to make it start routing multicast traffic you can just use;

1) "ip multicast-routing" on every L3 router

2) "ip pim dense-mode" on every L3 interface required to pass traffic

Note: N7K doesn't support dense-mode but doesn't need to because it is only operating at layer 2

1 REPLY
Community Member

Hi Kishore,

If you have two servers in the same VLAN which only need to send/receive between each other then I don't believe any configuration would be required (should be default behaviour for that to work). If the servers are not actually sending an IGMP join (that would be expected of a receiver) that could be an issue because on the N7K IGMP snooping is enabled by default.

Are there other receivers somewhere else in the network that you need to route the traffic to?

If you are just looking for the most absolute basic way to make it start routing multicast traffic you can just use;

1) "ip multicast-routing" on every L3 router

2) "ip pim dense-mode" on every L3 interface required to pass traffic

Note: N7K doesn't support dense-mode but doesn't need to because it is only operating at layer 2

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content