cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast within MPLS Hub & Spoke

fsebera
Level 4
Level 4

We are attempting to enable multicast within our Hub and Spoke MPLS network!!!

:

Since this is a Hub and Spoke environment, we have 2 VRFs per Hub, I.E. Ingress VRF and Egress VRF.

We have 2 Hubs and about 300 Spokes.

:

Some remote PEs peer with 2 different CE spokes and the 2 spokes must exist in different VRFs (it just sucks that the same PE terminates these spokes but this is how it is).

:

I have enabled MDT default group under the 1st VRF but when I attempt to enable the same MDT default group under the 2nd VRF I receive the following error:

PE3(config)#vrf definition REG3

PE3(config-vrf)#address-family ipv4   

PE3(config-vrf-af)#mdt default 239.232.0.0 

PE3(config-vrf-af)#

PE3(config)#vrf definition REG4

PE3(config-vrf)#address-family ipv4   

PE3(config-vrf-af)#mdt default 239.232.0.0

% MDT-default group 239.232.0.0 overlaps with vrf REG3

PE3(config-vrf-af)#

Here is the VRF config-let for PE3:

vrf definition REG3

description WAN3 to WAN1 & WAN2 [Hub & Spoke]

rd 30:1020

!

address-family ipv4  

import map WAN2  

mdt default 239.232.0.0  

route-target export 30:30  

route-target import 10:10  

route-target import 20:20

exit-address-family

!

address-family ipv6 

import map WAN2V6  

route-target export 30:30

exit-address-family

!

vrf definition REG4

description WAN4 to WAN1 & WAN2 [Hub & Spoke]

rd 40:1020

!

address-family ipv4

import map WAN1

route-target export 40:40

exit-address-family

!

address-family ipv6

import map WAN1V6

route-target export 40:40

exit-address-family

QUESTIONS:

Bearing in mind that ALL traffic between spokes MUST pass through a primary HUB for security purposes

1. Since some spokes (DS3 or larger link) will source multicast traffic for Video Teleconference (VTC) is there a special configuration I need on the Spokes  .  .  .   Meaning should I have multiple GRE Multipoint tunnels within between PEs via multiple MDT groups?

2. Is there a special configuration I need for the HUBs for Ingress VRFs verses Egress VRFs?

BTW, multicast traffic does flow to spoke VRF REG3 ---  through the MPLS cloud -- from the Hub.

Thanks for any assistance!!

Regards Frank

3 Replies 3

fsebera
Level 4
Level 4

Ok, I waited and waited and waited and waited some more . . . all the while researching anything that was closely related to multicast in a hub and spoke environment - I only found my own questions I posted here earlier!

:

Long story short, I figured it out (I should get 5 stars!!!!!)

Thanks for at least looking.

Before you pull all your hair out, reply here if you need assistance as I can provide what I know!!!

All the Best

Frank

H Frank,

Glad to hear that you solved the problem yourself. Sometimes, ppl here get so busy that its hard for them to come on CSC. I am sure you understand that yourself.

Please post the solution here so that everyone can benefit from it. I will give you the 5+ stars you deserve in green

Regards, Kishore

Hey Kishore,

Yea I understand folks are busy - always.

You being and MPLS hub and spoke engineer, you probably already know all this stuff - I am VERY new to MPLS; just learned the basics two months ago.

:

Anyway, long story short, could you tell me how many VRF's are required per PE-CE peering session for a redundant multicast enabled MPLS hub and spoke environment?

:

Meaning, if I am the customer (CE) and only have a single router per site and a single interface per router and I want my CE sites to have multicast logical failover, is there something special I need to do to make this happen?

:

Thanks so much!!

Frank

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: