cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multilink in MPLS

netmaniac
Level 1
Level 1

Our organization are going for MPLS architecture for there premium client, cureently we are on leased lines.

My question is if I take MPLS link from diffrent service provider for can I do a multilink on router and project this link as a single link?

If yes will it affect if one of the link goes down?

7 Replies 7

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

If its ip or mpls inorder to make your multilink work you need to have the physical links getting terminated in same router on both the sides without which you cant bundle them up to use as a single link.

If you have 2 or more physical links in a multilink bundle if one of the links goes down and others are up the connectivity will still remain up coz the other links will be there to forward the traffic.

regds

You can also make ur multilink to act as a single link (if one link goes down, the entire bundle goes down) by using min-link mandatory.

Thanks PremKumar for Replying..

Please tell me if I have 3 diffrent service provider for my 1st HOP (eg TTML, MTNL, REl) will I be able to do multilink on my router??

hi

if they are only providing the last mile and getz ur site connected to the remote site and also if all the 3 links are terminating on same router on both your sites/locations ,then its very much possible to have multilink bundle.

but do take care of the link quality before adding them in multilink bundle coz errors/drops in one of the link may also cause some performance issue with the whole multilink bundle.

regds

Yes, you can bundle all three links and create a MLP bundle.

However please be aware of negative impact of using three different SPs.

Because each of them has different characteristics, such as delay etc, therefore you will get out of order packets in your bundle.

Two SPs willing to connect to 3rd SP, that is new to me

Seems to me that this presumes a L2VPN type of MPLS offering from each of the three providers.

I don't see how this could work with the more common L3VPN offerings. With L3, the ppp encaps could only extend from CE to PE.

Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm mistaken.

Hi

I have tested MLP bundle on multiple leased lines and also on multiple ISDN PRIs.

jasrine47

http://ciscorouterconfig.blogspot.com/