Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MultiLink PPP Processor Load

Is there a large increase in Processor Load when using MultiLink PPP to bond T1s together while running MPLS? We have been requested to bond circuits for customers, but are reluctant because of the danger of over utilizing the processor on our 7206s which are mostly NPE-400s and some NPE-G1s. Is there a reference somewhere to the increase in Processor Load caused by MPPP?

3 Replies 3

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

Cisco does not publish quantitative details on the impact of MLPPP on CPU utilisation. So the best option for you is to do some baselining within the lab: start with an unloaded box with two separate T1s, pass traffic over them so that they are both fully utilised and then note CPU utilisation. Then, enable MPPP over these, pass traffic over the multilink interface so that it's fully utilised and then note CPU utilisation. That should give you some idea of the incremental impact of such interfaces. You can always do things such as disable fragmentation when using MLPPP which does reduce CPU utilisation.

Having said that, the NPE-400/NPE-g1s are pretty grunty and should be able to handle a few multilink interfaces. It comes down to how many of these interfaces you are expecting to use...

Hope that helps - pls do rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Thank you for the feedback. I will do some baselining.

Bruce

I dont' think it will increase the the processor load when using MLPPP on MPLS. I have successfully tested and do not facing that kind of problem. Even, some of our customers already running this MLPPP on leased lines and ISDNs without any problems.

jasrine47

http://ciscorouterconfig.blogspot.com/

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: