cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Optimal -Suboptimal

ranjeet_badhe
Level 1
Level 1

Can any one explain me what do you mean by Optimal and Sub-optimal routing?I would appreciate if the examples are also given especially in the context of MPLS.

Warm Regards

Ranjeet

3 Replies 3

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In an MPLS TE context, you use the term "optimal routing" to designate the path that would have been chosen by the IGP as opposed to "sub-optimal routing", which is the path selected by the Constraint SPF algorithm (CSPF) given a certain restriction (mainly bandwidth).

Let me know if that answers your question,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Dear Harold

Yes ,I got it now in the context of MPLS but in case of Peer-to-peer we say that routing is optimal what does this mean in general?I am not getting when do we use the term that routing is optimal or sub-optimal?

Generally, "Obtimal routing" is if you follow the shortest path to destination where as "sub-optimal routing" is if you follow a longer path for some reason. One example of sub-optimal routing in a non-mpls TE environment is for instance when you have two ABRs for a given area advertising a summary address into the non-backbone area. It is quite possible that one of the two ABRs is closer to a given subnet part of the summary address range but since the two ABRs advertise the same range traffic to that subnet from the non-backbone area might traverse the ABR that is farther from the destination subnet. In this case you could use the term "sub-optimal routing" to describe this behavior. If you didn't summarize at the ABRs, you would get optimal routing.

Hope this explanation helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: