Views
Helpful
Replies

PE and DLSW with 2620XM

mario_spendier
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all!

I have an urgent problem. I know that you can make a 2620XM as a MPLS PE router with IOS c2600-js-mz.123-19.bin. But i need additionally DLSW within a VRF process! Does anyone know what IOS to use??

Thanks a million for any help!

Mario

3 Replies 3

romccallum
Level 4
Level 4

Lets make sure im on the correct track here. You are looking for a command something dlsw peer vrf green 1.1.1.1 ?? If so then dlsw within a vrf is not supported and i would suggest never will be supported due to the demise of token ring. If you are however wanting dlsw to go over an mpls from a CPE then its just IP packets to the mpls network so yes this shall work no problems.

Hi!

Yes, there's a command like ... "dlsw local-peer peer-id vrf xxyyzz" and it's already working on 2811 IOS 12.3 T1!! the problem is, that the dlsw process has to be put into the vrf. it's not working, if the interface which should be do DLSW is in an vrf and the dlsw process is running globally!

by the way, dlsw can work also on ethernet interfaces, it's just transporting netbios packets over ip. and there it starts again! these ip packets have to be in the vrf!

you understand? ;-)

Any help on this??

greetz!

Mario

I understand. I'm currently dealing with this for a mainframe and client-server customer. Lot's o' multi-protocol support.

When you specify a vrf with that command, you aren't specifying a per-vrf DLSW instance. You are simply specifying which vrf the global DLSW instance will use to find the remote peer, or which local interface/vrf has the local peer IP.

I haven't seen where per vrf instances are supported.

A better approach, ie, more scalable, secure, and less prone to mis-configuration, which requires little SP support knowledge, is to place the DLSW endpoints on customer equipment, either CE or within the infrastructure where you can place the bridged interface on a lan.

Or perhaps AToM or L2TPv3. No local-ack and failover, but maybe you're not on the hook to provide advanced DLSW or like functionality? YMMV.

I remember being told some years ago that this was roadmapped, but haven't seen it come to fruition. My guess is that the specific application is kind've limited. Speaking only for myself, but alluding to Rob M.'s comments, I suspect that not many providers are using mainframe controllers or bridges as CE unless we're talking AToM or other L2 transport.

Someone will jump in if they've seen new code to support this.

HTH,

Michael