Views
Helpful
Replies

PE-to-CE Multiple links

aretsu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have an MPLS/VPN infraestructure, and one of my customers has 9 offices around the country, but now he is requiring something, and I would like to know what are the best practices (your opinion) about this particular case, here is the explanation:

These customer wants to connect his HQ using three E1 links from his CE to our PE Router. They are asking to use all the E1 links mantaining their QoS policies (their traffic is VoIP + Data (dlsw, internet, and so on). My quesions are the following:

1) What would be the best way to achieve this: using MLPPP or making load balancing using the PE-to-CE routing protocol (BGP, OSPF, EIGRP)

2) In the case MLPPP is the best way, I have read that with MLPPP the QoS is not mantained between the links (I also have read about something called "Multiclass MLPPP" to achieve this, but I have never use it, have you?). What would be the recomendation to have QoS between the links.

3) In the case PE-to-CE routing protocol load balancing is the best way, how would I maintain QoS? - This is more CPU intensive, isnt it?

3) Or maybe using one E1 link to pass only the VoIP traffic, and using the other two E1 links to pass the rest of the QoS classes, to assure that the VoIP quality is always good, and use MLPPP (or the routing protocol) on the two E1 links to pass other traffic.

Please let me know any idea about this.

Thanks in advance

----

Alex

3 Replies 3

romccallum
Level 4
Level 4

i use MLPPP. You put the QOS parameters on the multilink interface. I have seen no problems doing it this way.

slemberg
Level 1
Level 1

Alex,

is inverse multiplexing over atm (IMA) a solution for your issue ?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk39/tk356/technologies_q_and_a_item09186a0080111162.shtml

regards

Sascha

How about the Multilink Frame Relay setup. Please see link below for more detailed information. On this setup there is possibility to bundle nxE1's to be a same link and then if needed run e.g. different VRF's over multiple E1 links.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1839/products_feature_guide09186a0080087cbf.html