Views
Helpful
Replies

Per VRF label or Per route label

romccallum
Level 4
Level 4

Folks,

A few weeks back I saw on some study group somewhere that im on a decent conversation on the downfalls of per vrf labels (juniper) compared to per route label (cisco). Now per route label obviously has its limitations in label consumption but per vrf label threw up a few issues - one of which was something to do with sub optimal routing. Anyone know any downfalls of using per vrf label space?

2 Replies 2

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Rob,

One of the disadvantages of per VRF label scheme is that it requires an IP lookup on the edge router. This is due to the fact that if the label is shared among all CEs on a given PE, an IP lookup needs to be done in the VRF to determine which CE we should send the label to.

Another disavantage would be that you couldn't support CsC using a per VRF label since an IP table lookup is required on the PE, which breaks the end to end LSP.

On the other hand, you are absolutely right about the increase resources comsumption when a per route label scheme is used. This affects some vendors more than others though.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

cheers H. Do you have any docs that list and explain the major draw backs of per vrf label allocation somewhere? or should i contact my account team for that stuff?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: