Level 4
Level 4

Hi folks,

this is my topology:

- PE1, R1 are on SITE A

- PE2, R2 are on SITE B

- SITE A: ospf area 0

- SITE B: ospf area 1

- on SITE A, there's R1 on area 0 and area 1 (L1 backdoor to R2 on SITE B)

Today SITE B is reachable through the backdoor, cos from PE1 and R1 we have always LSA type 3, but the metric is different (AD iBGP > AD OSPF).

How could I use the superbackbone as primary link, and R1 backdoor only for backup? route-map on PE1 redistribution? or maybe something else?

Any advice will be appreciated

Regards

Andrea

17 Replies 17

Hi,

You need to redesign your network in any case, because otherwise the stated goal - MPLS primary, R1-R2 backup - can not be achieved. So the question is what to change.

Are there good reasons to have multiple areas (with only 5 routers, if your topology is drawn correctly this time)?

If not, then convert everything to one area (presumably 0) and use a sham link in the MPLS VPN.

If you introduce another routing protocol between R1 and R2 using mutual redistribution including proper filters and getting external networks instead of interarea, it would be possible to achieve the stated goal as well.

IMHO this increases operational complexity a lot and thus would be only the second best option.

Having only OSPF everywhere plus a sham link in the MPLS VPN would be the easiest solution I can see.

But finally it is your network and your decision to take.

Hope this helps! Please rate all posts.

Regards, Martin

Hi Swaroop,

thanks for your support.

Why not a sham-link?

Regards

Andrea

Andrea,

Hows it going with the tests, did you test the methods.

If you need any further feedback, respond.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: