Views
Helpful
Replies

Public IP use in MPLS back bone

Bharat Negi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I am using Private IPs in my MPLS core as of now and giving VPN services to customers. But now, as per ISP best practices, I want to move to Public IPs inside my MPLS network.

Can you all please advise me, what all services will I be able to offer my customers, after doing this migration? I know its a weired question, but can't help it.

rgds/bsn

2 Replies 2

william.caban
Level 5
Level 5

The main advantage I see is the ability to support Inter-AS MPLS VPNs.

Bharat, you wont be able to support any new services after this migration. As mentioned its only a best practise what you would be implementing to avoid possible (likely or unlikey :-)) issues when you provide services like

1) Inter-AS MPLS VPN;s

2) IPV4 External Peering with other AS's.

So with or without the migration you will be providing all the service what you provide today. Its just a way to keep things clean.

Also as a rule of thumb, you can keep all your infra IP's private and only loopbacks public(which should help achieve in the lines of the bestpractise and also conserve space).

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: