Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS in MPLS VPN

acoe
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have 4 sites connected to a hub site (star topology), they are all connected to each other using MPLS vpn. We are planning to deploy Voice over the VPN. Can we do Fragmentation and QOS on the traffic before it enters the MPLS VPN. QOS can be done, but we want to accomplish fragementation as well. service provider does not offer end to end qos guarantee. any other suggestions or ideas would be highly appreciated.

thanks

4 Replies 4

gmarogi
Level 5
Level 5

I don't think MPLS by itself has any fragmentation mechanism for QoS. You can consider using either Multilink PPP or Frame-relay fragmentation before the packets enter the MPLS cloud.

mazhar71
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

If your SP doesn't give QOS my answer is "NO you can't let your voice traffic pass , change your SP".

QOS is not an issue on one link. It should be considered END-to-END.

MPLS has no fragmentation. Even if you used multilink PPP on the CE link , then your packet would be let say 1500 bytes again inside your SP. If SP doesn't give QOS to your traffic, there is no guaranty that your voice would be good enough. It may work but no guaranty.

Best Regards

So, which path a SP that has MPLS e VPN MPLS deployed should follows to provide QoS and support for voice over IP to its customers ?

What you are looking to do is fragmentation and interleave. Something which MUST be done on interfaces that are less than ~ 700k. As said in other threads if your SP doesnt offer QOS across the MPLS network then change SP's. If you live in Britatin (which I doubt) come to THUS PLC. We will do that for you no problems. We offer 5 levels of QOS which your voice traffic would go straight into our LLQ.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: