Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

RD (route distinguisher)

Hi,

when I define a vrf for a client with different sites connected to different PE, must the RD only be unique within the PE where I'm configuring the vrf or within the entire MPLS backbone???

Thanks

2 REPLIES

Re: RD (route distinguisher)

hi,

when you define an RD it is used all over the PE routers in Backbone. it means that RD must be unique.

Re: RD (route distinguisher)

Hi,

The route distinguisher must be unique per VPN. So if you have more then one site for a specific customer you can configure them all with the same RD!

The only BUT is when you have customer sites that are connected to more then one PE (dual homed sites). To be able to loadbalance between the two connections, you will need different RD per site connection. (This is especially the case when using route-reflectors).

If the route reflector receives two same VPNV4 routes meaning RD+IPv4. It will only chose the best and forward that! So another PE device will only receive one route for that prefix. If the RD's are different the Route reflector will think the routes are not the same and will announce both routes to all the PE's!

I hope this is clear for you.

Best regards,

-Ives-

Views
Helpful
Replies