cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundancy in CPE

shivlu jain
Level 5
Level 5

I want to provide the redundancy to my CE1.For this i had connected my ce1 to pe1 and pe2 for redundancy.But my rr will send the update to pe3 but it will be having one route but if i use two different vrfs to both pe1 and pe2 thn my rr will be having 2 updates of different vrfs and update will be forwarded to pe3.Now pe3 will be having two routes.But when ce2 wants to communicate with ce1 thn which vrf it will prefer.

Please check the attachment.

4 Replies 4

swaroop.potdar
Level 7
Level 7

It will choose the VRF to which the PE-CE2 link belongs to. If the PE-CE2 link belongs to VRF1 then it will be route of VRF1 and if its VR2 then so on.

If you want to load balance, then you need to run to links between PE and CE2 so the CE2 will be able to load balance.

I believe you were coming to this point in the last post, but it was great that you opened another thread for it. :-)

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

thanks for your reply swaroop.

But the ip of ce1 will be the same.E.g ce1 is having 10.1.1.1/24 ip and pe3 is getting the same ip from the two vrfs.Now tell me how ce2 will communicate to 10.1.1.1.

When ce2 will forward the packet for 10.1.1.1 , packet will move to the pe3 now which vrf will be looked for becasue both the vrfs has the same ip address.

Will two interfaces on CE be in the same network? That would mean there are VRFs already on CE.

But them how would CE decide which VRF to send it to?

I thought packets would remain in the same vrf according to the different RD/RT

Its the same as explained in the previous post.

When the CE2 sends the packet to 10/24 network it would arrive at the PE on the configured VRF for the PE-CE interface. And would use that VRF's 10/24 route only.

If PE3-CE2 link is VRF1 then PE3 will use the 10/24 route in VRF1 if VRF2 then it will use VRF2 route.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: