Views
Helpful
Replies

Route a default route through an MPLS network

pavlosd
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

I have recently setup a small private MPLS network. One of the sites conneced to it requires internet access. I tried to send a default route throug the MPLS VRF but although the default route is seen on the one end of the site (i.e. H.Q where the Internet router is located as well) I cannot see it on the brances site.

To be more specific how can I force default route to be advertised throughot the MPLS VRF?

ip route vrf SITE_A 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1

ip route vrf SITE_A ISP_PROXY 255.255.255.255 192.168.0.1

By using the above (and by defining in BGP vrf Site A - redistribute static and redistribute connected) I can only see the ISP_PROXY 255.255.255.255 route being advertised to the ohter end.

Regards.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you want to redistribute the default route from any protocol to BGP (including static), you definitely need to configure default-information originate under the appropriate address-family.

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you want to redistribute the default route from any protocol to BGP (including static), you definitely need to configure default-information originate under the appropriate address-family.

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

For some Sites I do not use a routing protocol since they are directly connected through an ethernet interface torwards our router. How would I solve the problem there?

Regards.

Eventhough you might not be running a RP between the PE and the CE, you still need to redistribute the static default route into the VRF on the HQ connection so it is propagated to the remote PEs, right? Now when you say that for some remote sites you do not run a RP because they are directly connected to the Ethernet interface connected to the PE, does the "they" refer to workstations, in which case you only need to set a default route on these ws pointing at the address of the PE interface and you would be all set.

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Actually your suggestion does work fine with the default-information. I thought this command only existed for the ospf. The network is a bit complicated, unfortunately I can't say much about it, but think of it as connecting sites between them and at one of the sites, e.q. H.Q. there is a different router from an ISP that (or a firewall) that provides internet connectivity. So we as a company do not offer this internet connectivity.

Moreover I have some problems with redistributing the ospf default route into the BGP. it does not seems to work (although I can get away with it with a simple static route),

Regards.

You should be able to redistribute the default route from OSPF to BGP. Is the default carried in OSPF as an external route (LSA type 5)? If so, it will not be redistributed into BGP unless explicitly configured (ie: redistribute ospf match external). Default-information originate is also require in this case.

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México