cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Route Distinguishers

gabbdavida
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer who requires a private MPLS infrastructure to support his separate businesses. The use of private addresses and AS numbers for the formation of Route Distinguishers is ‘strongly discouraged’ in RFC 4364 (and arrangements for a connection to an Internet Service Provider have yet to be defined).

The question is whether the RFC recommendation should still apply when implemented outside the Internet; where there is no requirement to be globally unique?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

shivjain
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It all depends, if in future you don't want to do the any nni or csc with any of the SP, in that case private is ok but if you have any plans to go global, I would suggest you to go with public AS + Public Loop back addresses.

regards

Shivlu Jain

www.mplsvpn.info

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

shivjain
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It all depends, if in future you don't want to do the any nni or csc with any of the SP, in that case private is ok but if you have any plans to go global, I would suggest you to go with public AS + Public Loop back addresses.

regards

Shivlu Jain

www.mplsvpn.info

Many thanks Shivlu, and I appreciate the clarification regarding NNI. Will be checking this thougherly with the client

kind regards, Dave Gabb

Hi

Please close the thread it it answer your question. If any mor ehelp is required, please let me know.

regards

shivlu jain    

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: