Views
Helpful
Replies

Routes in global as well as VRF

pronobroy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is it possible to inject the same route in the global part of the BGP table of the PE router and also into a VRF on the same PE router? The route thus injected into the VRF will subsequently be redistributed into VPNv4 part of the BGP table.Thus the same route will be injected twice in the BGP table, once from VRF (through redistribution from PE-CE protocol) and once directly injected into the global table.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

You can have the same route in the global and also VRF, because global routing table is just like another vrf.

In this case the PE is in a vrf and the CE is global.  This should work fine and you should not need to insert the same routes into both.

The other way of doing would for customer routes you peer with the CE using vrf and for Internet routes you peer with the CE using global (if you are providing connectivity for customer's location and also Internet access).   You can use one physical interface with 2 sub-interfaces or 2 physical interfaces.

HTH

Reza

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Olivier ARRIGHI
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Pronob

Have a look at "ip route vrf" command : you can add the "global" keyword to allow route leaking.

cheers

olivier

Thanks. I understand the route leaking part. I am more worried about the return path back from from the Internet (global table). In order to do that I will need to place the same route in the global table as well but pointing to the CE router. Is that possible?

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

You can have the same route in the global and also VRF, because global routing table is just like another vrf.

In this case the PE is in a vrf and the CE is global.  This should work fine and you should not need to insert the same routes into both.

The other way of doing would for customer routes you peer with the CE using vrf and for Internet routes you peer with the CE using global (if you are providing connectivity for customer's location and also Internet access).   You can use one physical interface with 2 sub-interfaces or 2 physical interfaces.

HTH

Reza

Hi Roy,

You need to add two routes.

@ You need to add static router fro VRF network to Data center network

i.e. ip route vrf (Test- VRF ) 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 (Gateway) global

@ You need to add static route for VRF network in the global routing table pointing to the interface connected to VRF.

i.e  ip route (VRF network ) (VRF subnet mask ) (interface connect to that VRF)

Regards

Chetan Kumar

Thank you all. This gives me hints to solve a critical design issue.

Take a look at the config guide below.  You will still need static routes so the global routing table can send traffic into the VRF, but this will allow you to dynamically import routes from the global table into a VRF.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2s/feature/guide/fs_bgivt.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: