cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Simple TE question

djankovic
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. Let's say I configure explicit TE path betwen two edge devices and it goes on suboptimal route. How should I then do a configuration so only traffic from L3 VPNs that I select goes through TE tunnel, and all other traffic goes through normal path with smallest IGP metric.

7 Replies 7

swaroop.potdar
Level 7
Level 7

Create additional loopbacks per vrf ( in global table) on either side and manipulate the BGP nexthop to point to that new loopback, instead of regular loopback 0.

For eg:

Create loopback 1 in global for vrf1 on the egress PE. On the Ingress use a global static loopback 1 route pointing to the tunnel which terminates on this egress PE.

Manipulate the nex-hop in the MPBGP update on the ingress using import map pointing to the loopback 1 on the egress.

Or

Assign the BGP next-hop to be used for that VRF as loopback 1 in vrf config mode.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Swaroop,

Or even easier. If the goal is to follow the tunnel for all l3vpn traffic, just use a separate loopback interface address for the VPNv4 session and make that loopback address reachable via the tunnel interface using a static route. This way you don't need to se a separate loopback per VRF.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

No, actually the goal is to tunnel traffic only for certain VRFs. Most of VRFs should still pass regular path.

Setting the bgp next hop under the given VRFs seems like the best option then:

ip vrf test

bgp next-hop loopback 1

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Hi Harold,

Can U suggest us any link wherein this solution has been documented???

This is a very nice flexible way of giving the service using specific TE tunnel to high priority customers requesting optimization within SP core.

Here is the command reference for this toggle.

Although its not documented as a feature, so doesnt have a feature guide as far as i know.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6441/products_command_reference_chapter09186a00804a3736.html#wp1022044

If you want further granularity based on subnets, (for eg: only intra VPN traffic is High priority and traffic to internet is not etc.) then you may want to manually modify the next-hop rtaher than assigning the next hop per VRF using the first method which i specified in my earlier post, if you are looking for something like a Virtual leased circuit kind of service between end points then you can gurantee all traffic certain SLA using the second method 'the per VRF next-hop method'.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Swaroop's response at lightning speed :) :) :),

Thanks,

Regards,

Dara

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: