cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPF Timer

sunyoung.song
Level 1
Level 1

I want using a BFD with OSPF . but, fault tollerence time is BFD hold time + SPF recalculation interval.

so that, I want to change SPF timer.

I read it this document.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1838/products_feature_guide09186a0080134ad8.html

but, I don't understand command option spf-hold and spf-max-wait.

timers throttle spf spf-start spf-hold spf-max-wait

In the OSPF router. to occur route change then, after spf-start interval excute SPF calculation.

but, SPF calculation is occured just one time. I don't understand what is spf-hold and spf-max-wait.

Any one help me?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

There are 3 parameters of interest:

spf-start:

this is the time between the first topology change event and the calculation of the SPF. This timer kicks in if there has not been a topology change for a little while. This is typically a very small value.

spf-hold:

this is the minimum time between the first SPF calc after an idle period and the next SPF as a result of a topology change. This is typically a larger value than the spf-start time. If topology change events continue to occur, the wait interval between SPF runs will continue to double at (starting at double the spf-hold) until they reach a value of spf-max-wait

spf-max-wait:

this is the maximum time interval between successive SPF runs.

So what does all that mean ? It simply means that these parameters offer you fine-grained control over how frequently the SPF is scheduled. If you have a quiet network, a low spf-start will mean that the SPF will be calculated as soon as a topology change occurs. However, if a lot of these events are occurring, you could kill the router just from the SPF calcs. Therefore, the spf-hold and spf-max-wait timers ensure that in the face of continual change, SPF is not run too frequently. This is just a safety net to give you quick response when needed but to slow down if required.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

There are 3 parameters of interest:

spf-start:

this is the time between the first topology change event and the calculation of the SPF. This timer kicks in if there has not been a topology change for a little while. This is typically a very small value.

spf-hold:

this is the minimum time between the first SPF calc after an idle period and the next SPF as a result of a topology change. This is typically a larger value than the spf-start time. If topology change events continue to occur, the wait interval between SPF runs will continue to double at (starting at double the spf-hold) until they reach a value of spf-max-wait

spf-max-wait:

this is the maximum time interval between successive SPF runs.

So what does all that mean ? It simply means that these parameters offer you fine-grained control over how frequently the SPF is scheduled. If you have a quiet network, a low spf-start will mean that the SPF will be calculated as soon as a topology change occurs. However, if a lot of these events are occurring, you could kill the router just from the SPF calcs. Therefore, the spf-hold and spf-max-wait timers ensure that in the face of continual change, SPF is not run too frequently. This is just a safety net to give you quick response when needed but to slow down if required.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: