Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Static Route & MPLS?

I need help, I'm designing an MPLS network to be on our existing network. The network is currently connecting three POPs over satellite links. We have static routes on the whole network. The 3 POPs are connected using 3845 routers.We have

some unused 7500 routers for the MPLS deployment. My questions are:

1. Is it compulsory to use IGP btw these core routers or can I retain my Static routes.

2. I intend to use the 7500 for PE routers, can 3845 still be retain as my P-router? or I need to change them to 7600 series.

3. Any necessary links that will assist me in the design will be highly appreciated

1 REPLY
Silver

Re: Static Route & MPLS?

1. It is not compulsory to do IGP though IGP is the best bet if the number of routes/links increases. just ensure that the prefixes you route in the static routes are the same in both routers else labels will not be exchanged for the same.

2. Again 3845 can be a P router no issues. But if the bandwidth levels are going to increase you may need to go for an upgrade in the hardware. But 3845 can do MPLS no doubt

3. cisco.com/go/mpls should get you started.

Views
Helpful
Replies