Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Static route on MPLS

What kind of risks are in using static routes over MPLS link?

If I have a static route over MPLS and service provider has some problem in his network then my link status remains UP but no traffic can flow on the link. I have backup route but it won?t switch over unless line protocol is down. Is there any workaround for this case, apart from using routing protocol? I want a static route to be first preferred and I have EIGRP route as back a backup.

I need some of using static route on MPLS without any problem.

Thanks in advance.

7 Replies 7

swaroop.potdar
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Kapish,

This is expected behaviour how static route would operate. As its physical link layer dependent.

Now this would be applicable even if there is no MPLS. Assume your PE router to be one of you own HUB routers. In that case also if any thing goes wrong after the HUB router, you HUB router is up and so is your link and static route.

In the first place using a static route you are stubbing your router. In the very essence you lose all visibility beyond your router. SO even if some peer if lost on the PE and your VPN routes are not there, you wont come to know, unless you use a routing protocol.

So its much simpler to run a simple routing protocol with your PE to avoid such problems.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

If you still face any problems in enabling routing protocol on the primary interface, then you can try this method. its a little complex compared to running a routing protocol. But thats thr option.

You can use Enhanced Object Tracking for tracking of any IP you want to keep tracking.

Based on this tracking you call that object in a route-map and use it for PBR. if that IP is not reachable through the primary interface it routes the packets through you secondary interface. And since you have eigrp running there, return traffic should not be a problem. ( this is assuming that you are running a routing protocol at the other side with the PE.) When your tracked IP is reachable through your primary it will start routing all packets through your primary interface.

You need to apply the route-map on your LAN nterface for all incoming packets, and use only one tracking object,(2 have been shown in the example link).

If you have any problems in implementing the same respond.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080457bcc.html

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Thanks for replay.

Let me describe my situation, I have MPLS link which is mainly used or dedicated for Voice and Citrix traffic so I have QoS running.

Whole corporate network is running EIGRP and BGP and it makes huge routing table, its CE to CE, some times routing conversion creates problems in mission critical traffic. So I want this link to be on static route with some quick switchover method and EIGRP route as backup.

PBR with tracking looks good but I have doubt on switchover time . As corporate policies I need to prove effectiveness of this method else I can?t do changes.

Thanks

Ok, I think we are discussing things in a very relative way. Although this question is not related to MPLS we can take it ahead.

Can you tell me what is the current convergence time you are able to achieve currently ??

Then we can discuss it further as to which method gives better convergence. As far as I have understood from your first post you are not getting any converegence at all. Is that correct.

Also can you upload your topology diag as well.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

csco10837896
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

you can go for reliable static routing.

find attached file for this.

i think this will help you.

Please rate this post.

Regards,

Yogesh Dadkar

sklass
Level 1
Level 1

I had read an article in the Packet Magazine ... although, I dont remember which issue, you can use the RTR-SAA probe to solve your problem.

Cheers!

Hi sklass,

I have mentioned the same method, in my previous post, in this thread. The Enchanced Object Tracking uses the RTR probe for failure detection using ICMP.

You may want to check the thread and the link posted, if you may want to use the method.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: