cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TE/FRR & IGP FC

shhirjee
Level 1
Level 1

The trend is to introduce te/frr in a sp mpls network to get subsecond convergence because of Voice applications.

Can/will we ever achieve the close to same level of convergence with igp tunning ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

romccallum
Level 4
Level 4

I can and have implemented sub second convergence on my SP network. It took a year of painful testing and we eventually had it ratified by Cisco AS. All I can tell you is we use OSPF as the IGP but it would also be achievable by ISIS - I tested both and both were fine. The actual convergence we have is 160ms. We could have went lower but the routers were reacting too fast i.e. we saw an SDH path switch (<50ms) and the routers reacted to this. SO we had to up our timers to allow for the SDH to protection switch. First time ever that I have seen routers reacting quicker than SDH switches :-)

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

romccallum
Level 4
Level 4

I can and have implemented sub second convergence on my SP network. It took a year of painful testing and we eventually had it ratified by Cisco AS. All I can tell you is we use OSPF as the IGP but it would also be achievable by ISIS - I tested both and both were fine. The actual convergence we have is 160ms. We could have went lower but the routers were reacting too fast i.e. we saw an SDH path switch (<50ms) and the routers reacted to this. SO we had to up our timers to allow for the SDH to protection switch. First time ever that I have seen routers reacting quicker than SDH switches :-)

hi,

what type of link did you use and achived 160ms failover time? I was confused with the link failure detection mechanism other than SDH/SONET.

YM