Views
Helpful
Replies

Virtual Router

vdadlaney
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Folks,

Not sure if this is related to MPLS but I am trying to find some information on how to simulate multiple routers on one physical box. It has something to do with Vrf's I think but cannot be certain. Thank you

2 Replies 2

kschafer
Level 1
Level 1

Yes you are correct.

Using VRF's you can create virtual routing-tables within your router that are specific to that VRF. Routes within a VRF are not visible from within the global routing table or other VRF's unless you explicitly choose to import/export them.

You can run VRF specific instances of routing protocols also if you need to involve more than 1 router.

= K

CAMERON GILLIES
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

Generaly MPLS is used between several routers, however it is possible to configure a router with some simple MPLS configuration to split a single router into several VRF's (VPN routing and forwarding). The configuration would be something like :

!

ip vrf customer_a

rd 1:1

route-target export 1:1

route-target import 1:1

!

ip vrf customer_b

rd 2:2

route-target export 2:2

route-target import 2:2

!

You apply these VRF's to an interface by :

interface FastEthernet0

ip vrf forwarding customer_a

A couple of things to keep in mind are that when you apply the "ip vrf forwarding xxxxx " command to an interface it will remove and existing ip addresses from that interface. Also I have hound that OSPF does stange things sometimes on routes learnt from an interface that is in a VRF. Experiment with the OSPF router command "capability vrf-lite"

I hope this helps....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: