Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPLS Plateform

Hi, I'm student and I begin a VPLS project. The aim is to interconnect different sites by VPLS using MPLS backbone. I have already build a MPLS backbone and study many docs about VPLS principes, implementation, and design. However I don't find a lot of thnigs about platerform supported. I think it's not possible on "little" router like 28xx but I'm not sure, I saw on cisco features VPLS build only on 65xx series and 7xxx series.

1. Do you confirm me that ??

2. What IOS version can I use ??

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Maxime,

yes VPLS requires multilayer switches like C6500, 7600, ME 6524

there is a nice tool that is helpful for this kind of searches named feature navigator

http://www.cisco.com/go/fn

do search by feature, type VPLS

choice the basic feature that is the expansion of VPLS

in the list of supporting platforms you will see C6500, C7600, ME 6524 and 12000 routers (these with IOS or IOS XR)

if you select C6500 sup720 you can see a list of images that should support VPLS

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Maxime,

yes VPLS requires multilayer switches like C6500, 7600, ME 6524

there is a nice tool that is helpful for this kind of searches named feature navigator

http://www.cisco.com/go/fn

do search by feature, type VPLS

choice the basic feature that is the expansion of VPLS

in the list of supporting platforms you will see C6500, C7600, ME 6524 and 12000 routers (these with IOS or IOS XR)

if you select C6500 sup720 you can see a list of images that should support VPLS

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Ok, First thanks you for your answer.

I looked Feature Navigator, and I saw many IOS possible to build my plateform. If anyone could help me to choice, I'll be happy. I think virtualize PE (which have VPLS instance) by a software (dynamips/dynagen). I choose "VPLS" feature on CiscoFeatureNavigator but I don't know the difference between 7600, 6000-SUP720, 12000. So I have few questions :

1.  What is the better to vitualize ??

2. Many versions (Adv IP services, SSH, IP simple, adv enterprise), Simple versions are good enough ??

3. Versions are important ?? Between a ED,LD,SHX,SFX...

THanks

Hello Maxime,

unfortunately emulation of multilayer switches is not possible under GNS3/dynamips see

http://www.gns3.net/phpBB/topic18.html?sid=03884c83158c47ee256713c0967b1f0d

the list of supported devices includes only low end/mid range software based routers.

if you cannot access real devices you will need to build a lab using point-to-point EoMPLS services over emulated C7200.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

I see...

Do you know a another software to virtualize this multilayer switchs ?? Is it possible ??

Hello Max,

there are no SW simulators for these multi layer switches because they work most in hardware with dedicated and specialized ASICs on their linecards.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

judebryant
Level 1
Level 1

I would actually use SRE with ES+ cards

with this you have the option for mac in mac.

Regards

Jude Bryant

Pioneer Telephone

Well, I try to understand your answer but I don't. Can you explain with others words. You have a solution to my problem?? What is mac in mac??

Thanks to help me.

ps: I think build a LAB with EoMPLS like Guilsar told me. However if I succeded to have a 7300 I will be happy and VPLS will come back.

ok so as per this diagram

(lan)<=>--MPLS Cloud---<=>(lan)

the ingress and egress points to and from the lan should be interfaces configured for vpls

vpls is a multipoint ethernet over mpls solution.  however when you type in the xconnect command

mac learning is turned on.  All of the MAC address from the two lans are learned inside of the mpls cloud.

this is the behaviour of multipoint to multipoint or etree/elan.

so in a point to point ethernet over mpls which is a pseudowire mac address are not learned because its point to point.

so with the vpls environment when using ios sre with the es+ cards.  with this compination.  you can hide the mac addresses

of the lan by representation of a mac address.  Just think of it as qinq.  you put an outer vlan tag on already tagged traffic.

so in this case you are creating a virtual mac address to represent one lan, and another virutal mac address to represent the other.

so all you have in the middle are two mac address.

hope this helps

Jude Bryant

Pioneer Telephone

please excuse any typos...im tired

Hello Jude,

Maxime is a student and he is working on his thesis, my understanding is that he hasn't access to real devices for this reason I had suggested him to emulate an EoMPLS using emulated C7200 devices.

However, what you have described is interesting and could be part of a theorical part of his thesis where he will describe industry solutions for scalability.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

hello there,

the configuration I explained is a part the the AoMPLS or any over MPLS.

the standard is Mac-in-Mac or 802.1 ah.  Search this and you will find some additional info

here is a link for additional info from Cisco

http://www.cisco.or.at/web/HR/assets/images/Novosti_u_Carrier_Ethernet_produktima_za_pruzatelje_telekomunikacijskih_usluga_-_Josef_Ungerman.pdf

good stuf.

Regards

Jude Bryant

Pioneer Telephone

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: