Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

vrf-lite support for EIGRP on a 3550

Folks,

As per cisco documentation, 12.2(25)SED should support vrf-lite for eigrp. When i download the code and run it on the switch, i do not see the vrf option

Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.

c-b-2(config)#router eigrp 100 ?

<cr>

Any ideas?

I would expect to see

router eigrp 1 vrf aaa

but i do not

Thanks

3 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: vrf-lite support for EIGRP on a 3550

I believe that the VRF-lite function is very limited on the 3550. You might also be limited on which ports of the 3550 will handle the tag-switching. Can you create an rd, then an SVI and apply ip vrf-forwarding to it?

Ok, that needs comment from Cisco software people.

Sean, the point of vrf-lite is that there is no tag-switching - so there's no expectation of the 3550 to perform tag-switching (label switching).

Support for any type of L3 tunnelling on 3550 is specifically withheld by Cisco. So there are some things that the 3550 hardware architecture does not do well.

I'd certainly have thought if you can run EIGRP on a 3550, then it would extend to vrf-based EIGRP.

peter

I personally haven't used VRF-Lite with 3550, but I've used it on Cat 4948, 4500, and 6500. Try to see if "address-family" command is available under the EIGRP process.

E.g.:

router eigrp 100

address-family ipv4 vrf

blah blah...

exit-address-family

Please note that some commands are only available globally, but not under "address-family". One example is "passive-interface".

Also note that you'd obviously have to create the VRF first under global config mode before you can enable VRF-Lite in EIGRP, plus at least one of your Layer-3 interfaces will have to be associated to the VRF (either SVI or routed port).

Cheers...

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content