Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Vrf-Lite with MPLS requires a PE at the customer side?

Folks,

Looking at a cisco doc, which gives a sample configuration of VRF lite with MPLS (multiple customers in the same building using same MPLS cloud). My question is that how is it done in the real world. Does the provider place a PE at the customer site? cause the connection between the CE and PE has to be a link that can carry dot1Q (ethernet or fast etheret) atleast the example shows that.

Any real world experience would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

• MPLS
4 REPLIES

Re: Vrf-Lite with MPLS requires a PE at the customer side?

Hi,

the customer needs no PE router installed at his site.

You can use vrf-lite (aka multi-vrf) even on a Cisco router, which does not support MPLS at all. On the CE each dot1Q subinterface can be placed in a vrf. All you need is a routing process started within the vrf being adjacent to the PE.

Example CE:

ip vrf CE-VRF1

rd 65000:1

interface FastEthernet0.100

encapsualtion dot1Q 100

ip vrf forwarding CE-VRF1

ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

router ospf 100 vrf CE-VRF1

network 10.1.1.1 0.0.0.0 area 1

The PE would have MBGP and different RD and RTs defined, whatever is needed to setup VRFs in the provider network. Infact PE and CE each do not know about each others VRF configs at all.

VRFs on the CE define a separate IP routing context (control plane). The separation on the data plane is done via dot1Q headers (frame-relay, ATM PVC etc. would do as well) on the link between CE and PE. In an MPLS network data plane separation is done via labels.

Hope this helps

Martin

Martin,

Have you done this in the real world? Could you please paste the configs of the PE and CE?

Thanks,

Tarun

Hi Tarun,

yes I did this ... and this is why I can´t post the configs on the forum ;-)

Well I sketched the concept in my previous posting. In case you have customer specific requirements we could discuss this offline through email.

Regards

Martin

Martin,

Sounds good, My e-mail address is karanprakash2004@yahoo.com. I would appreciate if you could email me and we can take this offline.

Thanks

Views
Helpful
Replies