Helpful
Replies

best tacacs+ software for linux

pamirian76
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

I need to run tacacs+ on linux.

what's the best software implementing tacacs+ under linux?

thanks.

8 Replies 8

paddyxdoyle
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

Cisco have a TACACS+ binary talled tac_plus that compiles on Linux and its free!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk59/technologies_tech_note09186a00800946a3.shtml

It works very well, and can be used for full AAA as you would expect with TACACAS+

There is another version of tac_plus by i think shubbery.net that allows you do add access-list statements to user profiles, e.g. thus permiting some say non admin users to access only specific router IPs. From memory, I'll have to check this out though as it's been a while, with the Cisco tac_plus you can apply ACLs to users passing through a router (ppp etc) via tacacs+ but not to users logging on to a router.

I while back i wrote a doc on how to set it all up on Solaris, I believe it will be very similar on Linux.

I can send you a copy if you are interested?

Rgds

Paddy

sure thanks man.

send me your file to my hotmail address.

patrix1976 at hotmail dot com

Can you please send me a copy of that doc you wrote on how to set it all up on Solaris?

Thank you very much.

Roy

I run Ciscos TACACS+ server on a Solaris box and so far it seems to work fine. I've tested all aspects of the AAA functionalitity and they all seem to work.

I am curious about the ability to apply ACLs to incoming users. I am in need of doing something like that. I need to only allow certain users/groups to connect via the VPN, but not via any other method.

I found a very nice Tacacs+ server for Linux that has a web interface and uses MySQL for the database. Search for PHP Nuke to find it. I run it on Redhat 9.0, took about a day to get it fully working and tested once I figured out that I didnt need anything special to do, and I am NOT linux savvy. Just gunzip it and ./install.sh and its done, then follow the directions for installing the WWebUI portion and bam your done. Takes longer to understand how to use the web interface than anything else.

tahequivoice,

Could you provide some more information on finding this? I don't understand what PHP Nuke has to do with it.

Thanks.

Go here and get it. It works pretty good and is easy to maintain with its Web interface and MySQL backend.

http://www.networkforums.net/index.php

Does this Tacacs+ server support ACL defintions against users/groups which would allow them to gain access via a VPN service but not through exec,PPP, etc. ?