Views
Helpful
Replies

TACACS for VTY & Console

raza555
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I am trying to create a TACACS config that will make sure that when you log onto the CONSOLE or VTY you get TACACS challenge and if TACACS server is down then fall back to local user/password and local enable password.

Please advise that I have followed the Cisco best practices, that will help many others to follow;

Thanks and kind Regards,

Username cisco secret cisco123

Enable secret cisco456

aaa authentication login network-access group tacacs+ local

aaa authentication enable default group tacacs+ enable

aaa authorization exec default group tacacs+ local if-authenticated none

aaa authorization commands 1 default group tacacs+ if-authenticated none

aaa authorization commands 15 default group tacacs+ local if-authenticated ( whats the difference between this and just below command & which command to use)

or

aaa authorization commands 15 default group tacacs+ none

aaa accounting exec default start-stop group tacacs+

aaa accounting commands 1 default start-stop group tacacs+

aaa accounting commands 15 default start-stop group tacacs+

line vty 0 15

login authentication network-access

line console 0

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Q1) Your configuration should work for both types of users.

Q2) authorization and accounting at all levels will increase the amount of network traffic and increase the storage requirements on the server. You need to decide on the basis of your organization and your requirements whether the extra traffic and increased storage is justifiable.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

raza555
Level 3
Level 3

Any help will be very much appreciated

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

The syntax of what you have posted looks ok. There is not any configuration for a TACACS server and without that the config will not work.

I wonder about the choice to create a named method for user authentication rather than just using the default. (I am usually of the opinion that simpler is better but what you have configured should work)

The difference in the commands for authorization of level 15 is that your first option (which I believe is the preferred approach) offers a backup option if the TACACS server is not available and continues to offer some level of protection. Your second alternative says that if TACACS is not available then do not be concerned about authorization at all.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi,

As per your suggestion, I have tried to make it simple as below; please advice that is it better than above.

Q1: Also If in Cisco ACS, I have configured that user-1, have read-only access,  and user-2 has full level 15 access, do this ACS  configuration will work for both type of users with my below IOS configurations;

Q2: Do you prefer to user authorization and accounting commands at all levels or just command 15 is ok/works.

aaa authorization commands 0

aaa authorization commands 1

aaa authorization commands 15

aaa accounting commands 0

aaa accounting commands 1

aaa accounting commands 15

New Configurations as per suggestions:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Username cisco secret cisco123

Enable secret cisco456

aaa new-model

aaa authentication login network-access group tacacs+ local enable

aaa authentication enable default group tacacs+ enable       Comment (Do you prefer network-access, instead of default)

aaa authorization exec default group tacacs+ if-authenticated none

aaa authorization commands 15 default group tacacs+ local if-authenticated

aaa accounting exec default start-stop group tacacs+

aaa accounting commands 15 default start-stop group tacacs+

line con 0

exit

line vty 0 15

exit

tacacs-server host IP_Address key SNMP_String

Thanks for advice, its very much appreciated.

Q1) Your configuration should work for both types of users.

Q2) authorization and accounting at all levels will increase the amount of network traffic and increase the storage requirements on the server. You need to decide on the basis of your organization and your requirements whether the extra traffic and increased storage is justifiable.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

kaaftab
Level 4
Level 4

you configuration looks ok but for reference kindly check the following link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/security/configuration/guide/scftplus.html