Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ΕΕΜ causes infinite reboot

Hello,

we have a router that sometimes "loses" the PPP and a reboot is required in order to go back to normal operation. So i have created an ip sla to ping a IP address through the dialer interface. The sla's state is tracked with a delay down of 30 sec.Then i created the following EEM applet:

event manager appler INTERNET_FAILURE

event track 1 state down

action 1 syslog prior 1 msg "Internet Failure"

action 2 reload

The result is that when the problem occurs, router reloads as expected but when PPP is back router reloads again although as i have seen at the syslog server at the same time of EEM reboot command, the state of track object changes from down to up. Consequently, router  rebbots infinitely unless i manage to disable applet through console (and very quick key pressing- i have only 4-5 seconds for this).

Can someone explain why this is happening?i I believe that EEM by mistake considers that track object is down. Is there any command on EEM in order to instruct EEM to considers the sys uptime before reloading? Or is there any other way to overcome this problem?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

EEM reacts to CHANGES in the track state.  If it sees a transition from up to down, then the router will reboot (per your applet).  If you ensure that the default state is down and the track will not go up until after 30 seconds, you should avoid that up -> down transition, and the router will not reboot.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I doubt this is EEM's fault.  The tracked object is likely transitioning on the reboot.  Try configuring this under your object tracking statement:

default-state down

delay up 30

That should force the track down, and force it to be up for 30 seconds before transitioning to up.

Sorry,

but I cannot understand why this is a solution to my problem. If the object is down for 30 sec then the EEM will cause a reboot as soon as it sees that the track is down, am i wrong?

Anyway thanks for answering.

EEM reacts to CHANGES in the track state.  If it sees a transition from up to down, then the router will reboot (per your applet).  If you ensure that the default state is down and the track will not go up until after 30 seconds, you should avoid that up -> down transition, and the router will not reboot.

Ok I understand now your thought. Should I remove thw delay down 30 also?

That would be optional.

I have forgotten to thank you for your help. And a last question, do you know where I can find a short guide about EEM? Somethink like a white paper with some highly used examples?

Thank you again.

You should have a look at https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-12757 .  As for examples, check out http://www.cisco.com/go/ciscobeyond .