cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

10/100/1000 Base-T utilization

hlearn
Level 1
Level 1

This may sound simple, but how do you determine at what percentage utilization has an impact on flow. For example: when monitoring a 10/100Base-t port on a 2950 i see port utilization at 2%. Fine, but at what point should I be concerned. I have been looking for this answer for quite sometime and received wishy washy answers at best such as 35% 50% and 90%.

Any explanation would be helpful.

3 Replies 3

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

well it is somewhat difficult to give an exact number. First this definately depends on half or full duplex. With half duplex collisions can occur and then 35% would be a value to get concerned. With full duplex even 100% throughput for some time could be fine (large download) unless you experience excessive drops.

Remember that your load values depend on the averaging time. With an intervall of 30 seconds you could f.e. have 10 seconds of overload with massive drops and 20 seconds idle giving you only 33% average.

So look also for dropped frames, which could indicate problems earlier than only looking for an average.

Hope this helps

Martin

Thanks Martan, that really helps. Sometime managers and non-network types enjoy graph and percentages. I was ceptical about releasing persentages in reports, just use frames dropped as usual.

Thanks Again!

Thanks for the information here. I have a follow up question. In 2950 GB trunk port, I would like to see what % of data traffic is carried for each VLAN. Is there a way to check this out? Also, I have MLS QoS trust on the uplink port. Is there a way to get what % of packets for each DSCP or COS value travelling through this link? I also have wrr queue configured. Is there a way to determine how much % is being used by each queue? Thank you for your responses.

Murali.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco