Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Bronze

2511 support non-cisco device???

Hi guys,

I want install 2511 to control all the devices and install modem at 2511, so that I can dial-in if network is down.

We have couple non-cisco device, like netscaler, Meru wireless controller. I use same console cable for those deivces, but just use different speed (57600 bits per second) for instance.

Can 2511 support those non-cisco devices??

Or

Any suggestion or 3rd party solution???

Thanks in advance!!!

Ken

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: 2511 support non-cisco device???

Ken

I assume that you are talking about using reverse telnet on the 2511 to use it as a console server. I am not familiar with the devices that you are talking about. But in general the Cisco does not care about what kind of device is connected to pass async traffic over the connection. If the same terminal emulator on your PC and the same console cable can connect to Cisco devices and to these devices then I am confident that they will work ok with the 2511.

HTH

Rick

Silver

Devices other that Cisco also have mgt access aka console access - this is true of course. But the cable pinouts are likely to be different for each vendor. From experience I can tell you that Cisco boxes and SunMicrosystems do not support the same console/serial/mgt pinout.

hth,

Ajaz Nawaz

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Ajaz

I agree that not all devices will work with the Cisco console cable. That is why I phrased my answer that if (and only if) the device works with a Cisco console cable connected via PC, will I assure that that device will work with the 2511.

If you have devices that do not work natively with the Cisco console cable, it should be possible to construct a transition cable that would create the correct pinout and allow the 2511 to support the devices.

HTH

Rick

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content