Views
Helpful
Replies

2600 Terminal Server can't connect to 3750/3560 switches

jvalentine22
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a 2611XM that I am using as a terminal server for my lab setup.  Async is using octal cables.  It works great with routers of all different models, but when I connect a switch of any model, it does not work.  The connectivity LEDs don't even light (they do for the routers).  The switches in question are 3750s and 3560s. 

I have tried straight through from the octal cable to the console port of the switch, as well as a rollover with a converter, no luck.  This does seem to be independent of configuration on the console port - even before the console port of the routers were properly configured, I at least had indication of physical connectivity.

Any ideas appreciated!  This is getting maddening!

Thanks,

Jen

3 Replies 3

jasmadse
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jen,

Have you found a way around this issue?  I've run into this issue in the past, resolved the issue (can't remember how), and now have run into it again as well.  Term Server works great for routers, but doesn't seem to work for 3750 switches.

Jason

Hi Jason,

I did find a way around it, and weirdly enough it was not at all what I would have expected.  What worked for the 3750s was configuring literally nothing on the console.  So line con 0 is blank.  Here is what is on the terminal server:

line 33 48

session-timeout 20

exec-timeout 0 0

no exec

transport preferred telnet

transport input telnet

transport output all

stopbits 1

I would have expected that there would be *something* necessary on the console line of the 3750, but I guess not.  Good to know!

Jen

Hello Jen, I know this is one , was long time ago. I'm having the same issue now, and my line cons 0 on the switches are empty. Same config on all 4 switches. One of the 3750 24p switch is working fine, but the 3750 48p ones are not working on octal cable via Access server. 

I don't remember if I have the following configured on my Access server line:

transport preferred telnet

transport output all

stopbits 1

I can try adding those, but not sure if that is the issue with 48p switches console port...

Appreciate your time.

Hope you still here? :)