Cisco Support Community
Community Member

2950 Server collisions

I have four servers plugged into ports on a 2950. Both the server and the switch are set to 100Mb half duplex. The NIC has flow control on. When I monitor each interface it has about 7% collisions on each one. I thought switches eliminate collisions? Is there flow control on the switch port? Any suggestions on what is causing this, are the collisions in the switch refering to the link between the server and switch or beyond?

Re: 2950 Server collisions

Half-Duplex setting alwasys tend to workout with collisions or errors.

what i would suggest is to change the duplex setting on both server and switch port side.

That will be one of the options available out here to nullify the collisions or errors.

BTW do revert back whether your server supports dull-duplex or not ? if it supports can you revert back whether any specific reason behind out ther in operating them on half-duplex ??

Community Member

Re: 2950 Server collisions

Yes the servers do support full. Now I must make sure the third party software on the servers is capable of running at full. This software is very tempermental you cant even run a backup because it uses the port number and kills the performance.

CreatePlease to create content